Right now YouTube is the second most powerful search engine in the world behind Google. (which by the way owns YouTube) So if you have a business or a website your trying to promote it makes sense to have videos there.
But posting videos isn’t enough to get loads of traffic; you need to know how to optimize your videos so they can be found. Here’s a list of things you can do to optimize your videos and your channel to get more traffic.
Optimizing your YouTube channel
When creating a new channel here are some of the things you need to do. While these are pretty simple it’s amazing that many people don’t do these.
1. Title – Include your company name in the title
2. Email location – Use this so others can find your channel through email
3. Tags – Choose a few tags you want to target, these should be similar to ones you’re currently using for your website
4. Theme color – Choose a theme color that matches the colors of your website or business
5. Include the following three modules on your channel page
6. Include your business or websites URL in the website section.
Optimizing your YouTube videos
There are a number of things you can do to help get your videos noticed not just by people but by the search engines as well.
1. Title – Your title should include your company or websites name and should have the word “video” at the end.
2. Description – The more detailed your description the better. This is especially important if your video doesn’t receive a lot of comments, and will give the search engines something to crawl.
3. Include a link – While adding links in the description are considered “no follow” it’s still a good idea since these links can bring visitors. When adding a link make sure it’s the full URL address, (http://) otherwise it’ll just show up as text
4. Embedding – Always allow this option so that your video can be shared and displayed on other websites, blogs, and forums outside of YouTube.
5. Keywords – Always have a few keyword tags in your video. This will help it rank better in YouTube’s search results as well as the big search engines.
6. Comments – You should always allow comments on your videos. Allowing comments encourages discussion. It also gives your video more content and encourages others to view your video.